Friday, January 12, 2007

advice for tall girls

Where it is desirable for all girls to have neat, clean clothes and shining hair, and to bathe daily, for you it is mandatory. Because everything about you is noticeable, it just has to be right when noticed. There is no charm in disarray on a grand scale.

From "The Tall Girl's Handbook" by Gwen Davenport, published by Doubleday and Company, Inc. in 1959.

I guess I need to be a little more careful when I go out in public. Yesterday morning one of my neighbors said I looked like the unibomber when she saw my dogwalking attire of baggy gray sweatpants, my husband's oversided gray windbreaker and a dark "Life is Good" ball cap covering my unwashed hair.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger suttonhoo said...

Priceless! Where did you find this title?!?! I suspect it holds all the secrets to my life as a tall girl that I've so long lived without! ;)

11:26 AM  
Blogger heather lorin said...

I found it in an antique shop in Virginia a few years ago. It had been a library book at one time and someone had received a 5 cent fine. Watch for further installments - there is more great advice to come!

11:40 AM  
Blogger retrorodeo said...

Could've used this excellent advice round about seventh grade. Guess it's never too late, though. Thanks for the great post! Will stay tuned for more.

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh gosh. FINALLY, some advice for tall girls. I'm 5'10 and have a very love/hate relationship with my height. ANY info would be very much appreciated. Also, question: is shiny hair more noticeable on tall girls, because people can't generally see the top of your head...

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am 6'2 and way past high school, but still need advice for being tall! Some days I love it and some days I hate it. Working on that point when I love it all the time!

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home