Thursday, November 16, 2006

one small step


Several months ago I picked up Danny Gregory’s book "Everyday Matters" and was totally inspired to start sketching. But, being the perfectionist that I am, I’ve had a hard time getting started. The idea of using my precious moleskine as a practice ground for quick and imperfect sketches has contributed to my reluctance to put pen to paper.

Instead, I’ve been cruising sketching blogs of talented artists like Suzanne Buchanan and Tommy Kane and checking out Danny Gregory’s site.

But all this time, the urge to draw has been nagging at me to just DO IT. So this morning I finally did. I opened up the cheap little notebook I keep by my bed to unload miscellaneous thoughts and knocked out a quick little sketch while I was still groggy and before my rationalizing mind could interfere.

It's just a baby step, but at least it's a step in the direction I want to go.

4 Comments:

Blogger I need orange said...

I, too, am dancing around the notion of beginning to sketch. You are ahead of me -- you have begun! I checked Danny G's book out of the library. Perhaps you will inspire me to open it and get GOING! :-)

-- Vicki in Michigan

2:44 PM  
Blogger suzanne cabrera said...

Congratulations on getting started Heather! I know what you mean about the Moleskine...in some way it seems to precious for mistakes. That's why I opt for one of the large, cheap sketchbooks they sell at Borders. There are so many pages in the book that I feel like its ok to waste a few....plus the mistakes get lost in the volume. No pressure there. Best of luck and I can't wait to see more early morning sketches.

1:00 PM  
Blogger suttonhoo said...

good on ya! can't wait to see more unfold. :)

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic!! Me likes.

6:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home