Thursday, October 26, 2006

getting things done in style


I have a new obsession and its name is Circa.

Because:
  1. I'm trying to work myself into a GTD system and the Circa seems flexible enough to work for that.
  2. I’ve been salivating over the eye-candy at Levenger for years but have yet to actually purchase anything from them.
  3. I like my organization and I like it pretty.

The decisions:
  1. What size do I really need? Letter-sized would allow me to easily insert documents (like my portfolio) but it's awfully big for carrying around town. A junior-size will fit in most of my bags, including my crumpler 7 million front pocket, but I can't include my resume / portfolio in it (but then again, isn't that what digital media are for these days?).
  2. Do I want leather or the plastic translucent cover? The leather is gorgeous, provides a firm writing surface and has pockets but the plastic weighs less and is bendy which makes it easier to fit in a cramped space (and it's cheaper).
  3. OK, there is no three but you really need at least three items to have a decent list.

Clearly I have a lot to research and think about over the next few days (because I really need to heap one more thing to my already overflowing plate). I’ll keep you posted about my final decision and will include some annotated pics (natch) when my system is fully implemented.

[photo credit: Levenger]

2 Comments:

Blogger suzanne cabrera said...

I'd go with leather over plastic. My thinking is...if its flexible, it bends... which means your paper will as well. Paper with unwanted creases...not cool.

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Advice from a committed "portfolio" bearer: I have been carrying the same cheap day-runner for well over 10 years (it no longer has a single "day-timer" page left in it). It has evolved into a mobile office - people are often amazed at the questions I can answer when I deftly flip through my tabs; it humbles the unprepared! The key is - 1) full size (8.5x11 paper) so that anything that is important from any standard printer can be put in, 2) 3 ring so you can always find the right hole punch to get your documents in there (never waste the effort of carrying around the little specialty hole punches that come with some portfolios; you have to be able to move quickly when requred), 3) sections that never change (such as my calendar that's always in the front and the notebook paper that's always just behind that, 4) and sections that always change with the job/season/issue-of-the-month, 5)integration with computer (I keep my calendar and contacts on computer, but I print regularly so I have the paper document with me when I need it and can scratch changes in the middle of a meeting, 6) and finally, stylish enough to not be embarassed carrying it (OK, that's obviously not my current requirement. But I'll migrate that direction when I replace Black Beauty).

It's a tough call, but personally, I'm going leather next time (or at least some material besides plastic/vinyl).

I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home