Tuesday, January 23, 2007

glasses | gecko

Last week I came across an interesting drawing exercise at Mithi's Creative Journey (via Suzanne over at AN [OPEN] SKETCHBOOK) and knew I had to try it out.

The point of the exercise is to recognize the importance of drawing as a medium for working out ideas - visualizing forms which, through a process of editing / refining, become more removed from their intial source material. Basically you start out with two objects (I used my glasses and a ceramic gecko) and work on a series of drawings, using formal methods and combining elements to end with a final four.

This is my set:
First 16 quick line drawings of my glasses and then another 16 of a ceramic gecko:




Next, 64 quick drawings based on the original 16 - using the formal methods of exaggerating, distorting, simplifying, enlarging, reducing, repeating, rotating, combining, cross-referencing, and layering. Glasses first, gecko second:



Next use the formal methods again to make a single set of 32 new drawings, combining the glasses and gecko drawings:


Refine again to 16:

This time, paying more attention to layout, negative spaces, blocking out spaces, etc., reduce to 8:


and FINALLY refine and reduce to four final "complete" drawings:


It was really fun watching the transition from those initial simple drawings to the final four. Highly recommended!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger suzanne cabrera said...

Nice!!!!! No wonder it took you a while...you did the whole thing! I've been taking shortcuts! I really enjoy seeing the whole process! Great work!!!!!

3:11 PM  
Blogger heather lorin said...

Thanks! The process was pretty amazing. I found I had some mental blocks going from sixteen to eight and then again going from eight to four, but each time I worked through them and was really happy with the results.

3:25 PM  
Blogger suttonhoo said...

so fun! now to find the time to give it a try...

11:01 PM  
Blogger andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Wow this is brilliant. It must have taken ages! You've got some really great results though and as Suzanne says it's really good to see the whole process.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home