Thursday, October 12, 2006

there's no place like home

Where to begin? It all started innocently enough about ten days ago after the purchase of my first digital SLR. Like any new parent, I wanted to protect my baby and give it a beautiful, welcoming home – someplace special, not cheap and generic and boring. Thus began my quest for The Perfect Camera Bag.

If you think this is an easy task, then you obviously haven’t been shopping lately. There are a lot of camera bags on the market in various sizes and configurations – backpacks, holsters, sling bags, messengers, and duffels ranging from minimalist neoprene covers to compartmentalized monstrosities. And if you are a perfectionist bag / organization freak, as I am, deciding on what you really need and then researching the options are time consuming tasks - as in hours and hours of "maximizing".

I cruised forums and flickr and google and quickly realized I was not alone in my compulsion. A lot of people are obsessed with finding the perfect home for their cherished photographic equipment. A LOT. We were all searching for something other than the standard black “I’m a camera bag” container; we wanted the functionality with more chic.

In the end I was won over by the fabulously-designed Crumpler bags - the 7 million dollar home to be exact. It arrived this afternoon and I think it will be the perfect bag for day trips when you need to carry more (e.g. snacks, notebook, wallet, an extra shirt) than just your camera. I loaded it up and took some shots for those poor souls who are just beginning the hunt. Fair winds and following seas my friends.

Crumpler 7 million dollar home:


Fully Loaded (extra shirt goes on top):


In my bag:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice. love the aerial view with the callouts.

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's fabulous -- I love your bag-shopping sagas. and the bag.

8:30 AM  
Blogger suzanne cabrera said...

Love it!!!! So great to see all you carry in it as well. Looks like a magazine spread.

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same color in the 6 million dollar version. I wish the bag were bigger. I hate pulling on the velcro in the front.

9:44 PM  
Blogger heather lorin said...

So far my only complaint is that having only one fastener clip doesn't provide even distribution of the weight when using the handle so the sides of the flap pull up. I think it would have worked better to have two clips on the larger sizes like the 7 million.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home