Monday, September 11, 2006

check one off the list


For the last week I’ve been chained to my drafting table, finishing up a mess ‘o drawings for my senior project which I have to present to a jury in about a week and a half. I found myself procrastinating on some of the details:

Three weeks ago:
Me: I LOVE this graphic print for the office chairs, it will really add a pop to the room!
Classmates: Oooh…very nice, you should definitely use that.
Me: You think?
Classmates: Oh yeah – you HAVE to use it.

Two weeks ago:
Me: Hmmm…how am I going to render that fabric? Maybe I’ll just work on this other drawing first until I get inspired.
Classmates: Hey, what’s with those big white chairs in the middle of your drawing?

One week ago:
Me: ARGH!…why did I include those chairs in my perspective?
Classmates: Man, that really sucks. Glad I don’t have to render it.
Me: Wonder if anyone will notice if I just tape the fabric to the drawing?

Anyway, yesterday I finally buckled down and put marker to vellum to finish up all those nagging details. I’ve included a few section and elevation close ups (um, chair fabric from above not included) for those of you that are interested in these kinds of things.





5 Comments:

Blogger suttonhoo said...

beautiful. and congratulations on getting through the long slog. uff da.

4:59 PM  
Blogger suzanne said...

Ok, so we're in the same boat these days. Work, work, work. Beautiful perspectives. I've had trouble in the past using marker on velumn. They either bleed excessively or the color fades. You don't seem to be having this problem at all. Your colors are so vivid. Great job. You've inspired me to pick back up the velumn.

4:48 PM  
Blogger suzanne said...

BTW, what are you designing?

4:48 PM  
Blogger heather lorin said...

Thanks suttonhoo and suzanne! This project is a heritage center for genealogical research in Cork, Ireland. I've included a small cafe and gift shop along with the offices and research / library facilities. It's a little under 6000 sq. ft. so I had to do some creative space planning.

Suzanne, you're right, the problem with vellum is that it does end up fading over time. So I always make sure I either scan or photograph them as soon as possible, just in case. I've found that some vellums are bigger bleeders than others.

Unfortunately when I went to make a direct color copy of the drawings at Kinko's the lightest colors got completely washed out (ceilings and light greys mostly). When I went back to have them print the photographed version the results were too red and the guy printing it said they couldn't do color corrections. I'll probably go with my first set of copies and just overlay some pastels to add back some of those blown out highlights.

5:06 PM  
Blogger suzanne said...

Kinkos...I don't know when they are going to figure out the whole color copying thing...the problems you are having seem to always happen. But, nonetheless, copying the vellum is a good idea. And gosh, I just realized how I have been misspelling vellum...I wish these comment page had spellcheck so I would appear to be less of a loser!

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home