Saturday, September 16, 2006

in my library

I love books. When I was a kid, I was at the library so often the librarian had my card pulled and waiting for me by the time I got back to her desk with my latest stack. These day I don’t have much time for reading, but I still find myself craving the experience of cracking open a fresh page and burying myself in a new world.

If I had the room I’d create my own library complete with those little ladders that you wheel around from shelf to shelf. Some day, I’m going to make it happen. But for now, I keep my collection pared down to the essentials. Most are references that focus on design, languages, travel and business but I also keep well-worn copies of my favorite fiction and autobiographies.

Today I started cataloging my library online at LibraryThing (using my opiliones moniker), a new site for book lovers. From their website:
LibraryThing helps you create a library-quality catalog of your books. You can do all of them or just what you're reading now. And because everyone catalogs online, they also catalog together. LibraryThing connects people based on the books they share.

Pretty cool concept. Thanks to suttonhoo for sharing the link!

2 Comments:

Blogger suzanne cabrera said...

This is really cool. I'm going to have to check it out. By the way, I love your list of favorites...and the reasons why they are your favs. Good luck getting everything done this week. I hope you are feeling more productive than I am.

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fabulous!! i love spying on libraries.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home