Friday, August 11, 2006

speaking of color

In which our fearless heroine learns the true meaning of metamerism - of the illuminant variety…

There I was during a group critique, reviewing a design drawing I had spent HOURS carefully rendering when it was politely pointed out that the green in my drawing did not match the green in my laminate sample. At all. The same greens that had matched perfectly at home under my OTT-lite had decided to go their separate ways under the banks of fluorescent lighting above my head. Oh the humanity!

It’s back to the drawing board (literally) for me this weekend.

3 Comments:

Blogger suttonhoo said...

oh man that sucks. seems unfair that you would have to make revisions so that samples will match under the lousy light source -- couldn't they just step outside with the boards? that's gotta be closer to the Ott source.

oh man oh man oh man. so sorry to hear it.

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again, reverse-Darwinism rears its ugly head. You are going to have to dumb-down a product to make it acceptable to those with substandard light sources. The end of humanity is in sight (albiet slightly off color).

Couldn't you just say "the color difference is based on the lighting used in this building and is not a true representation; isn't it cute when the engineers don't know how to select lighting for the purpose. This class, is why your selection of lighting in your design studio is of such importance. That ends my lesson on light selection...are there any other questions?" - bhotw

1:21 AM  
Blogger heather lorin said...

Thankfully I was able to salvage the drawings - added a little bronze and a little grey and now everything matches under the fluorescent lights. Now I'm off to the drug store to buy eye shadow to highlight my metallics. I wonder if they carry puce sparkle? ;)

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home